[LinuxBIOS] PLCC clip on base

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Mar 14 08:10:08 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 02:52:47PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Ironwood Electronics has these nice parts. Not sure which one is
> suited best for a "remote bios flasher".
>
> http://www.ironwoodelectronics.com/catalog/Content/Drawings/CL-PLCC32-S-01Dwg.pdf

I like SMT. It's also the lowest of them.

> Can they be used at all? Or will applying power to the pins do
> weird things to the board (missing pull up resistors or something?)

It depends on what the flash is connected to. E.g. LPC clock will be
an output from the chipset, It's not safe to assume that it will be
in high-impedance state when power is applied to the 3V3 rail used by
the flash chip since the same rail may be used by the chipset,
causing the output to be driven either high or low.

Driving the signal low or high exernally will then cause a short
circuit in the chipset output driver for that particular signal,
possibly killing it depending on the current.

Some drivers have good protection against shorts but I don't know if
it's common enough to be assumed.

//Peter