[LinuxBIOS] 5 Euro flash hardware

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Mar 14 06:03:44 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:04:12PM -0400, Richard Smith wrote:
> Ward Vandewege wrote:
> >   http://www.loet.de/images/ideflasherSchematic.gif
>
> Of course its never that simple. The problem with just adding a
> 3.3V regulator in line to the flash sockets is that the 8255
> outputs are still 5V.  So you either need to add some 3.3V buffers
> with 5V tolerant inputs or use flash chips that are 5V tolerant.

Three 74LVX245 could be used as buffers. Note this design works for
parallell flash only.

For LPC there's at least one popular design called CheapLPC:

http://www.warmcat.com/milksop/cheapLPC.html

(Hi Andy! :)

This works for any LPC/FWH flash, not just the SST ones.

If you feel like experimenting with your soldered-on PLCC you can
wire this up to a PLCC socket so that it fits a chip inserted
upside-down in the socket. Then you just try put the socket on top of
the soldered-on chip on the mobo. It may or may not work depending on
what the flash chip is connected to. I would strongly recommend
trying this only when the mainboard is not powered.

//Peter