[LinuxBIOS] Where to begin?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Mar 12 16:38:12 CET 2007

* Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> [070312 16:02]:
> I assume you're referring to this
>
>   http://www.artecgroup.com/products/hardware-products/programmable-lpc-dongle.html

Yes, that's it.

> Python code, usb device - I like this. It says it comes with an 'LPC cable';
> any idea what that looks like? Presumably some sort of plcc adapter would
> still be required?

It is a 10pin (or so) header on the mainboard, similar to an IDE
connector, just a lot less pins.

It would be interesting to try plug a plcc clip base or some such to it.
no idea whether that is possible.

> > Ironwood Electronics sells a "PLCC clip on base", an inverted PLCC
> > socket that can be plugged on a soldered-in flash part. Together with a
> > BIOS savior kind of device, this would be a really cool thing.
>
> Oh! That's very interesting. So if you'd clip this onto an smd-soldered plcc
> chip (like on the m57sli-s4), and plug in a bios savior, would the bios
> savior allow you to switch between the on-board chip and the built-in bios
> savior chip?

I don't think so, because you need to switch the chip select pin. So you
would at least have to cut one pin and solder it to your logic.

But maybe a cable to connect a soldered flash chip to a flash burner
would be possible? Then such a board could be revived with a GalepIV or
a Willem.

It's just ideas, though. No idea what can be done and what will fail.
Hardware is more tricky than it looks at the first glimpse sometimes.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613