[LinuxBIOS] Developer Docs

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Mar 2 03:37:13 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:23:15PM -0500, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> Ok, My SuperIO chip is a SMSC LPC47M192. Looks like I will be able to
> use one of the other SMSC LPC47*** configs for a template.

Yep. Please use the lpc47b272 as a basis, that one already has proper
license headers.

> Once I get
> it setup how do I test it without everything else (nothbridge,
> southbridge, etc)??

Use a mainboard target which is similar to yours, then edit
src/mainboard/foo/bar/auto.c and replace the Super I/O used there
with yours.

Then, in the main() function of auto.c (somewhere after the
console_init() call) you can use

  print_debug("Hello world\n");

to test whether you get serial output. You won't get any further as long
as northbridge/southbridge aren't set up, but you can take care about
that later...

Building your target is roughly this:

cd targets
./buildtarget VENDOR/MAINBOARD
cd VENDOR/MAINBOARD/MAINBOARD
make

The resulting linuxbios.rom is your image you can flash.

You might need to edit ROM_SIZE in VENDOR/MAINBOARD/Config.lb to adapt
it to your BIOS-chip size.

HTH, Uwe.