[LinuxBIOS] r401 - in LinuxBIOSv3/northbridge: amd/geodelx intel/i440bxemulation

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Jun 29 00:59:10 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 12:03:19AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [070628 23:10]:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 07:12:37PM +0200, svn at openbios.org wrote:
> > > +#include <types.h>
> > > +#include <lib.h>
> > > +#include <console.h>
> > > +#include <post_code.h>
> > > +#include <device/device.h>
> > > +#include <device/pci.h>
> > > +#include <string.h>
> > > +#include <msr.h>
> > > +#include <io.h>
> > > +#include <cpu.h>
> > > +#include <amd_geodelx.h>
> >
> > The list of includes we need in every file is getting pretty large
> > slowly... Should we introduce a linuxbios.h file which includes
> > all "core" headers such as types.h, string.h, io.h and others?
> > This would reduce the number of includes a lot.
>
> I get the impression that we can drop quite some of them.
>
> Having a general linuxbios.h might increase compile time quite a bit.
> Can you do some measures and/or send a patch?

I don't think we should care about compile time too much (except it gets
_really_ long), readability and ease of understanding of the code is
more important.

I'll see if I can do some measurements, maybe next week or so, but I
don't believe the compile-time differences will be too dranmatic.

> > > +	__asm__ __volatile__("FINIT\n");
> >
> > Should be a function in some header?
>
> What does it do?

I have no idea :) It's just a bit awkward to have assembly in various
different files. I thought our approach was to have 10-20 asm lines
for init, and the rest in C?

Uwe.