[LinuxBIOS] get some output on serial console of commel lv671 board, but not readable one

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sat Jun 16 14:12:11 CEST 2007

* Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> [070616 05:31]:
> Also, the tyan s2875 has the same superio as yours, and doesn't do any
> special setup for it at all, just w83627hf_enable_serial.

That's an opteron board. Sure it behaves differently than a system with
an intel southbridge.

The effect I see here, too, is that the 855/ich4 systems have some kind
of EC which takes control before the first instruction is executed.

Also, there is no output on the serial console, even though the SuperIO
driver is known to work fine on other mainboards. So it definitely is a
board/southbridge specific issue.

> Some
> distros (*cough* ubuntu *cough*) don't allow you to do anything under
> 0x100 though, but iirc arch and debian do it fine.

Their kernels block IO accesses? Weird. Why?

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613