[LinuxBIOS] RFC Winflashrom Architecture -- Current device driver (testbed)

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Mon Jun 11 17:17:40 CEST 2007

A 16MB top window seems to be a generic window, most APIC/IOAPIC are
mapped at 4GB - 20MB IIRC

My dream is to have a chip specific driver (map driver in MTD terms)
which knows the window size the BIOS hardware decoder supports,
including the optional enable bits.

The chip driver also interacts with Linux /dev/iomem to reflect the
current setting of the optional enables.

It should also update the below 1MB (and maybe below 16MB) aliases
in /proc/iomem, according to their actual status in the hardware.  For
example, the K8 northbridge fixed MTRRs could be disabled, rendering any
aliasing of the southbridge or LPC/FWH parts moot (from the processor's
perspective at least)

There is a similar (lack of) infrastructure issue with lmsensors ATM,
might be interesting to watch progress there

Regards,

Jeremy