[LinuxBIOS] MC struct

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Thu Jun 7 20:25:24 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 08:14:57PM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > How does everyone feel abot unions?
>
> Bad. I dont think we need them. (Well if we did, it would be an
> idea)

Agreed, if no need then no reason.

> I think what we want is a generic MC structure.

Yes, this sounds good.

> BUT we also want a platform specific sysinfo structure.

What would it hold? Is it the initial device tree in code?

> And sysinfo is what we want to pass there, not MC. I think the
> object model is wrong at the moment.

Quite possible. I'm not sure how things are right now, just what I
think I'd like:

A device tree (not list) in code that
* is seeded by the mainboard dts, which lists all devices
* has device options set from defaults in device dts
* has device option overrides from mainboard dts
* has device option overrides from Kconfig
* can be translated to (if it isn't already) a device tree for
  consumption by the kernel

Sorry if you've already had to get me to drop this once, but it's the
nice and neat structure that I imagined at the symposium when we
started talking about dts and so on. Is my thinking wrong?

> > Also, can there be more than one MC on a northbridge?
>
> In theory. But the meminit code would know that. No need to define
> it every time.

How would it know?

I think the tree should have several ctrl nodes - one per MC. Right?

//Peter