[LinuxBIOS] The purpose of linuxbios_init

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Wed Jun 6 15:09:45 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:04:54PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> I see that it's to initializes motherboard-specific flash enable
> sequence. However, the details is still too vague for me.

Yeah, I think the idea is that if there is a lb_header, i.e. if this machine
already runs LinuxBIOS, flashrom can figure out exactly which mainboard it is
much more easily. For machines running a proprietary BIOS, this is much more
difficult - you have to look at pci ids etc, and they are not always unique
(vendors like to reuse them....).

This is just my 10,000 feet view, without actually looking at that code ;)

Thanks,
Ward.
--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>