[LinuxBIOS] Can we provide BIOS service base on the Linux BIOS

Rasmus Wiman rasmus at wiman.org
Sun Jul 29 14:49:34 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> skrev:

> All the details are in the GNU General Public License version 2,
> which is the license under which we distribute LinuxBIOS to you.
>
> Please see the file COPYING in the source tree for the full text.
>
> Condition 2b specifies that any derived work (your code, which is
> based on LinuxBIOS) must also be licensed under the GPLv2. This means
> that you have a legal obligation to use the GPLv2 also for your BIOS,
> because you based it on LinuxBIOS which uses the GPLv2.

Just curious... How about software that runs "on top of" Linuxbios? I
assume that Microsoft won't have to release Windows under GPL just
because Linuxbios can boot it :) , but what about payloads? If someone
wants to create a completely closed-source payload for LinuxBIOS, would
theybe allowed to do that? One possible example could be Microsoft.
Suppose that LinuxBIOS really took off and Microsoft would want to
adapt NTLDR so it could be a payload, would they be allowed to do it?

/Rasmus