[LinuxBIOS] New LAR access functions

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Jul 12 19:42:42 CEST 2007

* Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> [070712 19:12]:
> I dislike flashrom for this mostly because it basically needs all of
> lar, re other flashers they can always flash the complete image and
> be done.

I agree. But it seems a bit nasty. Either flash chip knowledge in lar,
or lar knowledge in flashrom. Both is not very nice.

> The KISS approach may be the best;
>
> flashrom exits with an error telling root to reorganize using lar.
>
> flashrom of course suggests the correct lar arguments for the
> detected flash chip. This is -S magicsize to begin with.
>
> Then user has to run lar to repack, then flashrom again to replace
> single larfiles in flash.

In case lar is in the path, flashrom could be told to run lar with the
options for the user, just asking the user whether he really wants to
continue (with a no warranty clause printed in capital letters ;)

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613