[LinuxBIOS] r447 - in LinuxBIOSv3: include/device mainboard/emulation/qemu-x86

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Jul 12 15:34:29 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 10:53:17AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * svn at openbios.org <svn at openbios.org> [070712 03:03]:
> > Some minor cosmetic fixes (trivial).
> > -/* no printk allowed until hardware is ready; hardware is ready */
> >  /**
> > - * start up hardware needed for stage1
> > + * Start up hardware needed for stage1.
> > + *
> > + * No printk() allowed until hardware is ready; hardware is ready.
> > + * TODO: Fix above comment? It's unclear.
> >   */
>
> I don't think it is. Without hardware to print on, no printk. What's
> unclear with that?

Hm, I don't understand the intention and why it's in that file.

Sure, as a general comment it's correct. If you don't have hardware you
cannot print on it. For QEMU this is not correct, though, it emulates
a serial console (and/or VGA console), so it _is_ posible to pritnk().

Is the comment supposed to say that we don't need special UART init
for QEMU, as it will work right from the start?

The comment just confuses me.

Uwe.