[LinuxBIOS] Acer TravelMate 660

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:23:24 CEST 2007

Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anyone LinuxBIOS running on an Acer TravelMate 660 laptop?
> Or can tell me if it will work?
> I'm a LinuxBIOS newbie, but I hope the following information can help.

LinuxBIOS on laptops is a mess that we're only beginning to jump into.
Laptops have an embedded controller, sometimes referred to as an EC,
that can control everything from power to LCD control, etc, etc. The
docs on these are usually covered by an NDA, with one real exception:
the part used by OLPC's XO. See also http://www.linuxbios.org/Laptop

As for the rest of your hardware, I think some work was being done on
the i855, but I don't know what the outcome of it was. The i82801dbm
should work, either through the regular or generic implementation. You
haven't listed the Super IO, so I can't tell if that would work or not,
but there's a list of supported hardware on the LinuxBIOS wiki. The rest
of the hardware can be dealt with later, although in a perfect world it
should Just Work.

-Corey