[LinuxBIOS] VGA Console does not start if ROM_SIZE > 512

Alan Carvalho de Assis acassis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 21:02:47 CET 2007

Hi guys,
I am testing LinuxBIOS on 2MB flash in tyan s2850.

If I compile LinuxBIOS to 512KB (-36KB from VGA ROM) and complete the
head of ROM file with 0's to get 2MB everything work fine, LinuxBIOS
starts and I can see the GRUB menu on VGA monitor.

This is the working option:
option ROM_SIZE = 512*1024-36*1024

If I change it to 1MB or 2MB VGA console don't work:
option ROM_SIZE = 2048*1024-36*1024

But serial console and everything (except VGA) still working.

I searched for something related to it on source code, but don't found
anything about it.

How to fix this problem?

Cheers,

|                     Alan Carvalho de Assis                |