[LinuxBIOS] help from ubuntu and FC6 experts

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:43:57 CET 2007

ron minnich wrote:

> The background is that ubuntu and, perhaps, fc6, set some options on
> the gcc pass that make no sense on a bios build. This is a guess. The
> result is a non-working linuxbios on those machines. It is believed
> the issue is some sort of stack protection flag that gets set.

> So, if you have a working linuxbios, and an fc6 or ubuntu handy, I'd
> like to hear about your success or failure in building and running
> linuxbios.

Ron,  I think Linuxbios build will fail on recent Ubuntu dists. When I
encounterd the problem the other developers here at OLPC said "oh yeah,
it won't build on ubuntu."

I have the build working on my kubuntu laptop.  Ubuntu enables the gcc
stack protector.  So when you build you get

linuxbios_ram.o: In function `number':
vtxprintf.c:(.text+0x271a): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
linuxbios_ram.o: In function `report_resource_stored':
(.text+0x3aca): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
linuxbios_ram.o: In function `cpu_initialize':
(.text+0x875c): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The fix is to add -fno-stack-protector into the CFLAGS.  I'm currently
doing it manually.  What we need to know is how to detect when its active.

As for FC6 we would really like to hear from others who are building on FC6

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone at gmail.com