[LinuxBIOS] Read / Write to CMOS

mack stout mack.stout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 01:38:11 CET 2007

Hello list,

I'm somewhat new to bios programming... but i have a handful of boxes (with
Award Bios) that I need to set to pxeboot remotely. I was thinking that I
might achieve this by dumping the CMOS (cat /dev/nvram > file) of a box with
pxeboot on, and then writing it to a box that has pxeboot turned off.

I will actually be surprised if a quick hack like this would actually work,
as I imagine its not that simple. But I was hoping that I might get some
information about what settings are actually stored in CMOS, if they're
changeable, if there's a GPL'd utility to facilitate this process.

Does linuxbios support altering bios settings from userspace?

Ben