[LinuxBIOS] ati support

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Mon Jan 22 07:52:37 CET 2007

Jory A. Pratt wrote:
> I am gonna undertake the task of writting support for the ati chipset :)

Good luck!

> I have emailed hp about getting the specs they use for writting there
> bios, If I hear anything back from them I will be more then happy to
> share it ..
HP can't help you, at least not as far as the chipset goes. The
motherboards in HP's laptops (I assume you have a laptop, seeing as
there's a cardbus controller and wifi) are made by an outside company,
can't remember the name right at the moment, but it's irrelevant,
because they can't help you either. They had to sign an NDA
(non-disclosure agreement, if you don't know) with ATI (now AMD) to
access the docs that you/we need for this, and you will probably have to
do the same, or else screw the docs and try to make something work from
lspci -xxx. Oh, and if you do get the docs, you'd have to get their
approval before releasing ANYTHING to the public, or else your ass could
end up in jail. The final caveat in laptops is the microcontroller,
which controls power management, among other things. You probably won't
be able to get the docs on that, and I have no idea what you'd have to
do to make it work (tbh, I don't even know how you'd find out the
make/model on it, aside from ripping apart the laptop). Not to try and
put you off or anything, just want you to know what you're getting into.
I'd love to see this happen, especially if you could get the
microcontroller working, because it's probably the same as mine ;)

-Corey