[LinuxBIOS] MSI K9SD Master-S2R (MS-9185)

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 23:25:16 CET 2007

Arvind Seshadri wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for a Socket F motherboard that is compatible with LinuxBIOS.
> The MSI K9SD Master-S2R (MS-9185) seems to be the only one that fits the
> bill. A couple of questions:
> 1. Where can I find datasheets for the chipset on this motherboard
> (Broadcom BCM5785, Broadcom BCM5780)?

As is with many chipsets, you can only get them from the manufacturer,
in this case Broadcom. You will have to sign appropriate NDAs, and it
will take a *very* long time. They may not deem your need worthy, and
you may not get the datasheets at all. (if you were designing a
platform, they might give you documentation)

Regarding a Socket F platform: at my day job, I made an LB port to Tyan
s3992. It booted with ATI graphics, but was pretty unstable for some
reason. (some boots would hang in IDE detection, some would hang in with
MCEs). I am a hardware minion, not a BIOS minion, so I didn't really
spend much time trying to figure out why it wouldn't work well. The diff
between the 3992 and broadcom blast (LB supported) were really very
small. If someone willing to deal with the gore of LB would like to add
support for more Socket F platforms, Tyan s3992 and s3970 would be good
candidates. (one is 2x Socket F, HT2000, HT1000, ATI gfx; one is 2x
Socket F, HT1000, XGI Z7 gfx)