[LinuxBIOS] Intel 440bx

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Feb 28 19:31:58 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:53:01AM -0500, Corey Osgood wrote:
> roger wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 14:00 +0100, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> >
> > I've had the serial cable setup a couple years ago & working but was
> > having problems flashing any builds to my bios chips as it seemed, at
> > the time, Intel had masked the BIOS to prevent flashing unless it was
> > first unmasked.  (Unknown if the current flash script in V2 works and/or
> > MTD finds the masked BIOS chip on my Tyan 1832DL or 440BX boards.)
> >

> I think I'm seeing the same thing, flashrom doesn't seem to be able to
> see the BIOS chip (although it does find the northbridge correctly). So
> I'm using a windows 98se boot floppy without the ramdisk, with dos-mode
> USB drivers, award's aflash, and a usb flash drive that I'm using to
> transfer built bios' with. I'd almost say it works better than flashrom,
> since I don't need to boot a full linux system to flash, but that's just
> my opinion (and this situation).

I'd like to fix flashrom if possible. You probably need to add some
board-specific code to util/flashrom/flash_enable.c, see for example:
http://tracker.linuxbios.org/trac/LinuxBIOS/browser/trunk/LinuxBIOSv2/util/flashrom/flash_enable.c#L472

FWIW, I'm using my Gigabyte GA-6BXC board (440BX, PIIX4) to flash
LinuxBIOS images, and it works just fine.

Uwe.