[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS v3 - what's going on?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Feb 28 16:22:48 CET 2007

* Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [070228 15:33]:
> unfortunately I didn't have the time to go to last year's LB
> symposium (exams...), so I'm not up to speed about the current
> state of LinuxBIOS v3. The tracker states there is some development
> somewhere progressing slowly. On this mailing list, it has been
> said that everything will get better.
>
> * Is there already any code I can access?

svn://linuxbios.org/repository/LinuxBIOSv3

There's also a design document in the tree which explains (some of) the
changes.

> * Will the conversion from v2 to v3 be as lossy as from v1 to v2?

It will not be a fully automatic conversion, but it will not be as lossy
either. Some hardware might fall out of the v3 scope.

There have been some significant simplifications in the code, and we
don't want to just through the v2 code into a new tree but instead
carefully move the good parts over and redo the bad parts.

> * Do major cleanups in v2 make any sense at this point in time or
>   will all of the code be dumped?

No, v2 will not be dumped any time soon. The same applies vor v1, of
course. Those versions exist and are good. We are trying to make things
easier for the user and for the developer in v3, so at some point we
hope v3 will have a lot more hardware than v1 or v2, but at this point
in time it is just a technology preview, booting a payload when running
in bochs (or qemu)

Regards,
Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613