[LinuxBIOS] Port V1 -> V2

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Thu Feb 22 13:55:12 CET 2007

Quoting Corey Osgood <corey_osgood at verizon.net>:

> joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>> Ok, I think I got it figured out. Attached is my config. Would someone
>> mind taking a quick look to see if it looks good?? Feedback?
>>
>> Thanks - Joe
>>
>> Quoting joe at smittys.pointclark.net:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> How hard is it to port a chipset from version 1 to version 2?
>>> I have a Intel 82830 Northbridge (only V1) and I need to port it to V2.
>>> All the rest of my hardware is already listed in V2.
>>> Can somone point me in the right direction?
>
> I don't think your northbridge is going to work. 440bx afaik isn't
> working right now, so your quick hack (no offense) to 430 probably isn't
> going to work either (although it might). Make sure you've got some sort
> of system for getting the factory bios back if it fails (BIOS saviors
> are wonderful, if you can get one). Also, when sending things to the
> list, it's best if you whip off a patch, as described here:
> http://www.linuxbios.org/Development_Guidelines#Creating_Patches, it
> really helps to clarify where you've made changes and point out what
> you've done. LinuxBIOSv1 also has support for the 430tx, as you've
> already noted, and you'll find a lot of info on how things work there,
> if you understand assembly. Intel also has some datasheets for both the
> 430tx and hx, they're all available with a little clicking from here:
> http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009194.htm
>
> I'm looking at some pictures of the rm4100 (you got me interested in
> it), and it doesn't look like there's even a serial port header, let
> alone a serial port. Do you have one on your board? That will be pretty
> much essential to debugging. As for your TV-Out, initializing it should
> be done by the onboard video BIOS, which you'll have to extract and use
> with a similar process to the one described here:
> http://www.linuxbios.org/FAQ#Testbios_.28vgabios.29_Faq
>
> If you've got any other questions, please post back. I'm certainly no
> expert on linuxbios, but I'll try to help if I can, and if not, there
> are others around that probably can.
>
> -Corey

Thanks for the feedback Corey. As far as the tv-out, I don't think
that is going to be possible to extract it. the rm4100 does not have a
standard bios. It is a custom designed one for wince and it sucks. If
you want to check out the project my website is:

http://www.smittys.pointclark.net/rm4100/index.php

There are alot of pics there.
It does have a serial port you just have to use a TTL to Serial
adapter, just like many cell phones etc. We are in much need of a
better bios for Linux. That's why I am on a quest for Linuxbios.
Anyone interested in helping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Joe