[LinuxBIOS] MSI-K7N2GM-L, Athlon XP, NVidia chipset bootable?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Feb 17 15:44:47 CET 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:21:32AM -0800, dedmons wrote:
> I looked into LinuxBios many years ago, but never
> tried to burn a new BIOS.
>
> Now, given that many appear to be flashable onboard
> by the motherboard itself, I decided to give it another
> look.

Hm, I don't know enough about these things, but: I'm not sure
that once you flash your own image on the BIOS chip it will
still be able to be flashed "on-board" as it was before!?

Is this flash-code in an extra ROM (or similar) so that it's protected
from being overwritten?

You should prepare a backup of your original BIOS anyway,
IMHO. You could get another BIOS chip (they cost ca. 5 bucks or so)
and flash your original BIOS on that, then test it.

You can then use our flashrom tool to flash any images you like...

> My machines motherboard has the following:
>
> board: MSI-K7N2GM-L, Athlon XP, NVidia chipset

Which chipset exactly?

The mainboard per se is not yet supported, but some parts of your
hardware are.

> 1) Pheonix Bios D686(?) Bios 18195747

This is not relevant. You need to peel off the sticker
from the BIOS. Then you'll see some ID numbers which identify
the chip itself.

> 2) Nvidia NForce2 MCP F85055-R4 0348A4

Ugh, sorry, I can't say anything about this. I hate these marketing
names for chipsets, I never know which "real" names of the chips they
refer to... Is there some official/complete list somewhere?

As for NVIDIA, we currently support MCP55 and Ck804.

> 3) WinBond W83627HF-AW

Yep, that's supported. This means you could get out serial (debugging)
output from the board.

Uwe.