[LinuxBIOS] A (likely rather stupid) question on Via docs

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 03:29:31 CET 2007

ron minnich wrote:
> On 2/11/07, Corey Osgood <corey_osgood at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> So, I'm working on the vt694x and getting rather frustrated, and so I
>> popped open the docs from rom.by, and this caught my eye:
>>
>> | 1.0 | 9/8/99 | Final document release with "NDA Required" removed |DH|
>>
>> Does this mean that there shouldn't be any issue with using these docs?
>> That would make life so much easier.
>
> how did you get them? How did rom.by get them?

I honestly don't know how rom.by got them, I found them through a heck
of a lot of searching. rom.by is mainly a site for people who hack
original bioses, it went under for a while due to lack of interest but
is now back up. I've looked through a few of the other via ones, and
some are watermarked as "Confidential - NDA Required", but they're also
very early versions (0.1, etc) of the datasheets. They're all listed
here: http://www.rom.by/doki.htm.

> on the face of it, however, that comment would seem to mean that there
> is no issue.

Thanks for the clarification, that was my thought too, but I didn't want
to submit any code and get burned at the stake later on for using
anything that might create legal issues. The other watermarked docs seem
to confirm that this is a public document, just not widely available.

-Corey

PS: Forgot to send this to the mailing list, oops