[LinuxBIOS] Error : Payload FILO

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Feb 9 20:42:33 CET 2007

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 12:10:53PM +0800, Sayoji Siv wrote:
>  Thanks. I have removed "-Wno-pointer-sign" and now it is working.
> I hav another doubt. I am not yet clear about Disk On Chip.
>
>  The BIOS chip in Tyan s2882 board is AMI BIOS B25 4665

Please see
http://linuxbios.org/FAQ#How_do_I_identify_the_BIOS_chip_on_my_mainboard.3F

The AMI BIOS does not identify the actual chip, only the BIOS
software that was flashed into the chip at the factory.

Peel off the sticker to reveal the real chip make/model info.

> and the Disk On Chip i am having is Transcend 40 pin IDE Flash.
>
> Will the both chips will be compatible or is there any specific
> Disk On Chip for this board ?
> Is BIOS savior is required ? If not, how to swap the chip and
> proceed.

If you want FILO as payload you don't need a Disk On Chip because
LinuxBIOS+FILO can be made to fit any size BIOS flash ROM.

Anyway, once you identify the flash chip that contains your AMI BIOS
it is a good idea to purchase a few extra flash chips that can be
used for experimenting with LinuxBIOS. Save the original AMI BIOS
chip someplace where it will not disappear.

A BIOS savior is not required, but it is a very handy way of managing
several flash chips and is recommended.

//Peter