[LinuxBIOS] Add support for Via vt82c686a

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Mon Feb 5 09:53:42 CET 2007

Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:45:22AM -0500, Corey Osgood wrote:
>> Please scratch the patch I submitted. vt82c686a and b are the same, the
>> docs lied (and this is the first time I've looked at it on the machines,
>> stupid me). I'm reworking a few things and cleaning up a few more
>> things, and I'll submit a working, tested patch this weekend, if all
>> goes well.
>
> OK, great!

So, this weekend just happened to be both the super bowl and my 21st
birthday, so I didn't get as much as I'd hoped to done. What I did get
means that either my serial setup on the monitoring PC is messed up
(very possible) or else this quick hack from vt8231 isn't going to work,
and I need to go back and work from v1, which I can only assume to be
working. I make no more promises, it will be done when it's done (duke
nukem forever anyone?)

>> On a related note, does anyone know if any northbridge init is required
>> to bring up the southbridge (and in this case also superio)? And is the
>> rcn dc1100s from v1 working or not? I couldn't get it to run (no serial
>> or video output at all) on the tyan s2507, which seems to be the same
>> hardware.
>
> I guess you need the northbridge (RAM init) for anything else to work.
> I have a K7T Turbo which has a VIA VT82C686B southbridge, but
> unfortunately the northbridge is a VIA Apollo KT133A (VT8363A) which
> is not supported, and I don't have VIA data sheets...

The vt82c686b datasheet is here (I also found an older version on some
obscure page of via's site, but can't find it now):
http://www.datasheets.org.uk/search.php?q=VT82C686B&sType=part
As for the 8363a, rom.by has the datasheet for both it and my 694x (and
ALi chipsets!), but I can't be sure if they're, well, supposed to or
not, so I'm avoiding touching them.

-Corey