[LinuxBIOS] Possible stack protect solutions

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Dec 20 18:31:30 CET 2007

On 20/12/07 09:27 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2007 9:53 AM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
>
> > So I offer these two possible solutions.  One is a patch to buildrom that
> > changes how we pass in the -fno-stack-protect flag (thanks to Marc for
> > the patch).  The other is a patch to LinuxBIOS itself to fix the actual
> > problem and pass $(CPU_OPT) where appropriate in the mainboard Config.lb
> > files.
> >

> Use this patch. fix it at the source. Fix ALL boards. This would help
> lots of people.
>
> But CPU_OPT is a non-obvious name for something that fixes
> -fno-stack-protector. That's the only problem I can see.

I tried to use existing variables where I could.  If we are willing to
do the work, we add a new variable instead.

DISTRO_BREAKAGE has a nice ring to it.

> We can then fix buildtarget to set CPU_OPT as needed, and fix it from
> that side too.

Well, if we do it from buildtarget, can we just insert the flag into
CFLAGS or something like that automatically?  That would solve the whole
problem without any additional patches to the Config.lb.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer