[LinuxBIOS] SMBIOS tables or alternate.

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Dec 19 01:16:26 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 01:39:19PM -0800, Steve Isaacs wrote:
> Because of a need to be compatible with other systems I'm seeing a
> requirement to support SMBIOS tables. I did some quick searching
> and didn't find much regarding this subject on the LinuxBIOS web
> site or the source code.

LB does not try to support legacy stuff like this by design.

(LB does not try to be "BIOS compatible" if you will.)

> From an application perspective this is important information. The
> same application needs to run on platforms having different BIOSes
> -- some commercial, some LinuxBIOS. The hardware type and version
> information is important for maintaining and deploying the
> application. Because of this, the application needs a consistent
> mechanism for retrieving the information I listed above.
>
> Any suggestions or alternatives?

Yes, I suggest using an alternative. There isn't really much
ready-made though.

Can you explain in more detail what information it is your
application needs, that is so far unavailable?

//Peter