[LinuxBIOS] patch for making system run past disable_car

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Thu Dec 13 02:14:35 CET 2007

ron minnich wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 4:50 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't like this. disable_car() should just be able to return without
>> problems. If it can't do that, fix it.

I agree.

>> Why exactly do we invalidate the stack? If the stack is clobbered, the
>> contents of variables should be in a clobbered state as well. In that
>> case, I suspect parts of our v3 code would misbehave as well.
>
> no, because what happens here is you are essentially dropping all
> local variables etc. -- this is a jump to a new context, and all the
> variables in that context are re-initialized.
>
> Anyway, maybe Marc can tell us what is wrong. I just don't know. I
> never solved it on the LX either. I'm happy to see it solved but, at
> the same time, I don't want to burn my next month of limited cycles on
> something i have a workaround for.

I assume you are asking about the wbind. The important part being the
wb, writeback. This pushes anything that was in the cache to memory. In
LX we maintain the same stack location (same pointers) so we don't need
to copy the cache to memory. We can just write it back. This works on
the Norwich platform. Any non-working LX systems should be debugged.

The K8 is a bit different. The CAR is specified to be in the C0000
region and the CAR configuration works a little bit differently than the
LX and Intel way. The result of those requirements is that at the end of
CAR the stack and other contents of CAR have to be copied. Once copied
the pointers are adjusted and then the function returns.

That about sums it up....
Marc

--
Marc Jones