[LinuxBIOS] PCI: Left over static devices. Check your Config.lb

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:14:49 CET 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 11:19 AM, Marc Jones <marc.jones at amd.com> wrote:

> Should it die if a a device isn't found? Seems like that would be a
> warning. I can imagine some cases where a device might or might not be
> installed on a mainboard that could be supported by a single ROM image.

I thought the same way at first. I figured a leftover device could be
safely ignored. But it gets a little complicated. How do you know
whether it is safe to ignore it or not? In many cases, you really
don't.

There should really be limited device enumeration in Config.lb. Only
those devices needed to be touched by LB should be listed. I still
think that the Config.lb that was listed in this thread is
over-specifying the hardware.

Given this rule, left-over devices should really not be allowed,
because, it means that you listed devices LB is supposed  to do
something with and then did not specify how to do something with them.

put another way, a device listed in LB should not be optional. If a
device is optional, it should not be in Config.lb. (I think).

thanks

ron