[LinuxBIOS] Recommendation for multimedia box

bari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Dec 11 20:27:13 CET 2007

Tilman Klar wrote:

> Hello mailinglist,
>
> I’m currently in the process of finding some suitable hardware for a
> multimedia box. The box needs to be capable to output sound/video, but
> this should be no problem: Even if the mainboard does not have support
> for a/v, I’m sure that there are a lot of USB solutions out there
> which might do the trick. I want to have really fast boot up times (a
> few seconds), so I was looking into the linuxbios project. From
> reading the list of supported mainboards/devices, I see that finding
> the ~right~ hardware is not a trivial task.
>
> Do you have any recommendations what kind of hardware I could use?

You didn't give many details, but take a look at some of these.

Corey has C7D+CN700+8237 support posted but not committed yet.

It's 99% there.

The mainboard in the Wal-mart/Everext PC is a VIA Mfg. NO: PC2500E:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/empowered/pc2500_platform/index.jsp

ClubIT Price: $59.99:
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001

or one of the other older VIA Epia boards:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=301
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=202
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=81
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=21

SiS761GX/SiS966 chipset and GIGABYTE GA-2761GXDK board now supported
http://www.rssfeedbus.com/index.php?showtopic=1515
but still no Linux accelerated graphics driver. Anyone at SiS listening?

GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AMD K8 NVIDIA MCP55
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2287&ModelName=GA-M57SLI-S4

ASUS A8V-E SE AMD K8 VIA K8T890 / VT8237R
http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=143&l4=0&model=576&modelmenu=1

ASUS A8N-E AMD K8 NVIDIA CK804
http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=171&l4=0&model=455&modelmenu=2