[LinuxBIOS] PCI: Left over static devices. Check your Config.lb

Steve Isaacs yasteve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:16:58 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 13:19 -0800, ron minnich wrote:

> Your board is not working, and the best thing you can do is shrink
> down Config.lb until it works.

I performed a series of experiments stripping the Config.lb none of
which fixed my issue. The process I followed was to comment out devices
one at a time and see what the effect was. If a device had others nested
I commented out those as well. The results I observed either ran or
hung. If commenting a device caused a hang I power cycled the board and
tried again to verify that the result was repeatable -- all failures
were. I then un-commented the same device and repeated to verify that
the restoring the device in the config would run. If restoring the
device would run I then labeled the device as essential and moved to the
method.

I'm thinking that stripping to the essential is a good thing but since
it didn't correct my problem I'm wondering if it might be an incorrectly
nested device.

> You need the ioapic, the 18. devices, and the superio. try starting there.
>
> > >       device pci 18.0 on end                    # Link 1
> > >       device pci 18.0 on end
>
> each 18. device connects to three HT channels. There's no real way to
> express this in PCI, so we got stuck with the three instances.

Something I learned is that in my case I need two 18.0s. The board I'm
using has nothing connected to link2 so I'm suspecting including a third
18.0 would hang the boot.

btw: I just now received YH's suggestions so will try that to see what
happens.

Here's the resulting config with the commented sections included:

  device pci_domain 0 on
    chip northbridge/amd/amdk8
      device pci 18.0 on #  northbridge
                         #  devices on link 0
        chip southbridge/broadcom/bcm21000 # HT2100 VID=0x1166
          device pci 0.0 on # EXB0 DID=0x0140
          end
          device pci 1.0 off # EXB1 DID=0x0142
          end
          device pci 2.0 on # EXB2 DID=0x0144
          end
          device pci 3.0 off # EXB3 DID=0x0142
          end
          device pci 4.0 off # EXB4 DID=0x0144
          end
        end
        chip southbridge/broadcom/bcm11000 # HT1000
          device pci 0.0 on
          end
          device pci 0.1 on
          end
 #         device pci 1.0 on
 #           device pci e.0 on
 #           end
 #         end
 #         device pci 1.1 on
 #         end
 #         device pci 2.0 on
 #           device pci b.0 on
 #           end
 #           device pci b.1 on
 #           end
 #           device pci b.2 on
 #           end
 #           device pci c.0 on
 #           end
 #           device pci c.1 on
 #           end
 #           device pci c.2 on
 #           end
 #           device pci d.0 on
 #           end
 #           device pci d.1 on
 #           end
 #           device pci d.2 on
 #           end
 #         end
          device pci 2.1 on
          end
          device pci 3.0 on
          end
          device pci 3.1 on
          end
#          device pci 4.0 on
#          end
#          device pci 4.1 on
#          end
          device pci 6.0 on
            chip drivers/i2c/i2cmux2 # pca9544 smbus mux
              device i2c 71 on # MIS_ P40,28,39
              end #0 pca9544 0
              device i2c 71 on # HT_ P40,24,42
              end #0 pca9544 1
              device i2c 71 on # pca9544 2 P1_ P40,2,6,7
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 0-0-0
                  device i2c 50 on
                  end
                end
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 0-0-1
                  device i2c 51 on
                  end
                end
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 0-1-0
                  device i2c 52 on
                  end
                end
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 0-1-1
                  device i2c 53 on
                  end
                end
              end
              device i2c 71 on #pca9544 3 P2_ P40,8,12,13
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 1-0-0
                  device i2c 50 on
                  end
                end
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 1-0-1
                  device i2c 51 on
                  end
                end
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 1-1-0
                  device i2c 52 on
                  end
                end
                chip drivers/generic/generic #dimm 1-1-1
                  device i2c 53 on
                  end
                end
              end