[LinuxBIOS] PCI: Left over static devices. Check your Config.lb

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 18:05:50 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 7:51 AM, Steve Isaacs <yasteve at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's something I don't understand. What is essential and what is not?

Essential is "needed to configure machine to load Linux". Which really
means that devices for it exist in the device tree, and those devices
need to run some code to make the node boot.

> e.g. Can I leave out the 18.x as well and LB will auto-detect like it
> did for node 1 (19.x)?

Those are northbridge register on k8 and on a 2-cpu system you need
them. But do you need them in Config.lb? You know, I just realized, I
don't know :-)

> What I tried to start with is to enable only the devices that are needed
> to boot and leave the rest to Linux but am unsure what I need to do
> there.

Even disabled, they are still in the static tree. I am saying to not
even list pci devices (particularly slots) if they are not needed to
configure the platform for linuxbios. In many, many cases, all you
need are the IO APIC, the superio, the CPU, and that's it. We have
poor documentation and as a result people tend to put more in
config.lb thany they need.

ron