[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS 'flashrom' on Geode LX + CS5536

Martin-Éric Racine q-funk at iki.fi
Sun Dec 9 22:15:45 CET 2007

Greetings,

I was wondering if anybody ever managed to get the current LinuxBIOS
'flashrom' utility to correctly detect the location of the BIOS chip
with a Geode LX and CS5536?

Here, I have two platforms with slightly different settings:

platform 1: NOR chip on the flash controller.
platform 2: NOR chip on the LPC hub.

As far as I can tell, 'flashrom' would need to read some register
(DIVIL_BALLS - see AMD document 3328G_cs5536_db.pdf page 365) to learn
what is the primary boot device configured by the bootstrap resistors
and then try to find the NOR chip used for storing the BIOS there at
that location.

Is the LinuxBIOS 'flashrom' currently incapable of doing this or am I
missing something?

To answer an obvious question, yes, the kernel's 'msr' module is
loaded before launching 'flashrom', so it's probably something else.

Best Regards,
--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi