[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS on Compaq ProLiant 1850R?

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:45:01 CET 2007

Michiel van Dijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if LinuxBIOS would work on my Compaq ProLiant 1850R server. The current Compaq BIOS lacks a lot of options.

The system itself is not supported yet, but all the components are. It
wouldn't be very hard to port it.

> I identified the following chips on the mainboard:
>
> Super I/O: NSC PC87317
> Northbridge: Intel FW82443BX
> Southbridge: Intel FW82371EB
>
> SCSI: Symbios LSI 53C876 (on-board)

You'd have to extract the original option rom from the bios for this,
then prepend it to linuxbios. Explore around the wiki a bit, there's a
build guide for another board with a SCSI option rom, or else it's the
same process as for a VGA rom.

> Video: ATI Rage IIc (on-board)

There's a driver in LB for the rage, I don't know if it'll work with
this particular one or not, but it can't hurt to try. This would mean no
need to use the vendor BIOS. There's a tyan board that uses this, but I
don't know which one(s) off the top of my head.

> Best regards,
> Michiel.

-Corey