[LinuxBIOS] Booting Windows with QEMU+LinuxBIOS

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Dec 1 21:30:27 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:37:10PM +0900, Jun Koi wrote:
> Hmm... I managed to do like this:
>
> - Compile ADLO separately, then I have a file named "payload"
> - In LinuxBIOSv3, I run "make menuconfig", then specify the path of
> payload option to the above "payload".
> - Save options, quit and compile.
>
> As a result, I have build/bios.bin, and I overwrites this file onto
> the original bios.bin of my QEMU.

No need to overwrite. Just use the '-L build' command line option for
QEMU and it will use the bios.bin in the build/ directory instead of
the normal one.

> Then, I run QEMU with my Linux image. It works, and I can login to my
> Linux QEMU.
>
> Now, the problem is that I am not sure if my Linux on QEMU really uses
> LinuxBIOS. How can I confirm that? "dmesg" doesnt seem to return
> anything special to me.

Use the '-serial stdio' command line option with QEMU, that will
print a "LinuxBIOS starting..." or similar message if it's really
LinuxBIOS.

Uwe.