[LinuxBIOS] Infamous __stack_chk_fail problem.

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Sat Dec 1 00:57:52 CET 2007

On 30/11/07 15:29 -0800, Steve Isaacs wrote:

> Is it a viable solution to have buildrom build a cross-tool chain? Imho:
> This would be best in order to have repeatable results. Having config
> options to control the gcc and binutils versions cross-host build
> repeatability would be improved.

This is exactly the direction I want to avoid going in.  We really don't
want to be in the business of building a complete development environment.
Its just too much complexity for what we will gain from it.

We have to reasonably expect that LinuxBIOS and the payloads will
correctly compile with any give x86 development environment.  The purpose
of buildrom is just to make that process easier - 1 step instead of
2 or 6.  Its a tool, not a requirement.  If we create our
own development environment, then it becomes a requirement, and instead of
fixing compiler problems that we _should_ be fixing, we'll be relying more
on hacking on the buildrom development environment, and we lose.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer