[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 30 01:04:53 CEST 2007

On 30.08.2007 00:34, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> [070829 20:26]:
> The documentation. In the last 2 days I read about half a dozen mails
> about how bad the linuxbios documentation is. Looking at the code for
> some years now, many "old" contributors became "code blind", ie. used to
> the weird things.

We have to differentiate between v2 and v3.
I still have not understood the inner workings of a v2 target nor do I
know how to deal with all the necessary ld trickery.
v3 has pretty good documentation, less scattered source files, no
#include mess and is mostly easy to understand if you read the design
documentation.

> For me it's easy to answer to an explicit question, but if you'd ask
> "explain linuxbios" I might just answer questions that you would have
> never asked and the other way around.

"Explain ld trickery for adjusting LB to oayloads with different size."
However, I'd prefer to never having to learn that and focus on lar and
v3 instead.

> So not being "code blind" is very valuable for the project. Still seeing
> the problems that someone coming freshly to the code has is a great
> chance to really improve things for upcoming generations of linuxbios
> hackers.

So far, any of my questions about v3 have been answered either by
reading the design doc or the code comments. I have some minor
corrections, but I'll send a patch for them.

For me, v3 is the future and also the only viable way to get new
contributors. And v3 is so easy to extend. When I get some time, I'll
add code to v3 which allows us to build generic ROMs. "Works anywhere."

Carl-Daniel