[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Joseph Smith joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Wed Aug 29 23:53:57 CEST 2007

Quoting Rasmus Wiman <rasmus at wiman.org>:

> Joseph Smith <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:
>
>> Yeh, maybe I'm ignorant also?? What do you mean by Tivoization??
>> LinuxBios on set-top-boxes?? Hardware hacking?? Fill me in....
>
> "Here's the source code for the stuff in your tivo. Feel free to
> recompile it. Oh, by the way, the tivo will checksum the binary, so if
> one single bit differs from the stock software, you won't be able to
> install it in the tivo".
>
> /Rasmus

  Oh, ok. I hate people/companies that suppress the open source
concept. If your going to post the source code and it is not open
source you might as well change you name to Micro####, if you know
what I mean.

So instead one could just develop a new bios so he/she would not have
to deal with that checksum bs and be able to install their OS of choice.

Thanks - Joe