[LinuxBIOS] pre-bricking an A8N-E !

Quux pawn2be.wild at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 29 21:14:16 CEST 2007

I am glad you're asking this question (please also refer to MIT's  "The
Hacker's dictionary / jargon file)

"*to brick*" a router (for example) can be done by flashing non-working
firmware into it rendering it useless without chance for reversal. It is
an expensive door-stop, a brick, or a letter weight or sth. low-tec
after that.

a "de-bricking" utility is one ( notorious is the debricking tool by a
guy who likes to call himself  *"hairy dairy maid"* and used in the
openWRT router project, employing a JPEG hardware interface)

pre-bricking thus might refer to a process where a mainboard is flashed
with a disfunctional BIOS image, thus bricking it - but where it is done
with a chance of reversal with further expenditure on additional hard-soft/w
       it is only in a pre-brick state even though delivering the final
blow to it would not be much harder !

--Q