[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Call for Action: LinuxBIOS foundations

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Wed Aug 29 18:13:21 CEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:02:11PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 29.08.2007 16:47, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:17:45PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> >> Think of all the MCP55 boards. RAM works. North- and southbridge are
> >> supported. The "little things" are what keep us from supporting them
> >> completely. A generic MCP55 port which loads the payload (additional
> >> board init etc.) over serial can be the ideal starting point.
> >
> > Why? I don't really see a use for this. If someone is able to run such
> > a payload, build LinuxBIOS, test patches etc. it's not much additional
> > work to just add proper support for the board in the first place.
> > No need for such a "test-payload", I think.
>
> The "you can always reflash the old BIOS" feeling gives confidence to
> porters who might not have a replacement chip handy.

Ah, that thing. I think I misread the whole thread. Anyway, this would
require a working flashrom-like implementation as payload (which in
itself is a very cool thing and Someone Should Do It(tm)).

> > Can you elaborate? Where is the MAC address stored? On which boards?
> > I doubt that all boards out there do this. What happens if you download
> > a BIOS image from $VENDOR website? Does the flasher contain special code
> > to deal with the MAC address?
>
> The MAC address is stored in flash for almost all CK804/MCP55 boards.
> All of these boards flashed with LB probably have the same MAC address.
> See src/southbridge/nvidia/ck804/romstrap.inc and
> src/southbridge/nvidia/mcp55/romstrap.inc for details. On some of these
> boards, the MAC address is stored in a separate EEPROM, but you can't
> count on that.

Hm, good candidate for the wiki FAQ and for the flashrom README then.
Can you create a patch for this?

Thanks, Uwe.