[LinuxBIOS] patch: extending LAR, and removing elf from linuxbios (it is not needed)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 28 00:21:42 CEST 2007

On 27.08.2007 19:25, ron minnich wrote:
> LAR is a very capable format. With two simple extensions, we can use
> LAR to replace all that we are using ELF for now.
> [...]
> The change is simple. Add a load address and entry point to the lar
> header. Extend the lar tool to parse the elf file and create multiple
> lar segments.
> [...]
> patch attached. This is a first pass. lar.c needs some refactoring but
> I want to get the comments going. You can now have a linux payload and
> it will uncompress with no problems.

So you have an ELF-to-LAR converter. Nice. Can you convert the linux
payload back to ELF? And will that still boot?
At first, my questions above may sound a bit weird. However, if we have
a real two-way converter, we can look for possible shortcomings of the
new LAR extensions automatically and even get it into some sort of
automated regression testing.
Besides that, we could reuse a v3 (LAR) payload in v2 with such a
two-way converter.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel