[LinuxBIOS] Latest on via epia-m for LinuxBIOS v2?

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 00:34:21 CEST 2007

Corey Osgood wrote:
[snip]
> This is exactly as it says. In src/mainboard/via/epia-m/Config.lb, there
> should be an XIP_ROM_SIZE and XIP_ROM_BASE, the base must be a multiple
> of the size. I had a bit of trouble working around this myself at one
> point, I think I determined that I just couldn't have a VGA rom and only
> the fallback boot, having both seemed to straighten things out.

So just to be clear we officially have no idea how to make a VGA BIOS as
detailed in the HOWTO any more :)  Using the Config.vga.filo gives the
same error, so I'll give up on VGA as well.

Now the Config.filo.lb template gives me a working linuxbios.rom file -
however I had to rebuild filo to get it under about 65K.  (General
question) Is it just a quirk of the build system that I have to put two
copies of the same BIOS image onto the flash?  Under what failure
condition is the "fallback" used?  Surely the most useful fallback would
be the vendor BIOS, which of course wouldn't fit ..?

Anyhow I'm happy that the ROM ought to work as I've tested the new FILO
from my GRUB, so I'm now trying to flash it:

Here's me verifying the vendor BIOS:

mnas:~/LinuxBIOSv2/targets/via/epia-m/epia-m# flashrom -v /root/oldbios
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Found chipset "VT8235": Enabling flash write... OK.
Found board "VIA EPIA M/MII/...": Enabling flash write... OK.
SST39SF020A found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is SST39SF020A (256 KB)
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Verifying flash - VERIFIED

Okay so now I'll try to flash the new one:

mnas:~/LinuxBIOSv2/targets/via/epia-m/epia-m# flashrom linuxbios.rom
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Found chipset "VT8235": Enabling flash write... OK.
Found board "VIA EPIA M/MII/...": Enabling flash write... OK.
SST39SF020A found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is SST39SF020A (256 KB)
Note: If the following flash access fails, you might need to specify -m
<vendor>:<mainboard>

Hmmm, no signs of success or failure, will try to verify:

mnas:~/LinuxBIOSv2/targets/via/epia-m/epia-m# flashrom -v linuxbios.rom
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Found chipset "VT8235": Enabling flash write... OK.
Found board "VIA EPIA M/MII/...": Enabling flash write... OK.
SST39SF020A found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is SST39SF020A (256 KB)
Note: If the following flash access fails, you might need to specify -m
<vendor>:<mainboard>
Verifying flash - FAILED

Looks like something bad happened, or nothing, let's see...

mnas:~/LinuxBIOSv2/targets/via/epia-m/epia-m# flashrom -v /root/oldbios
Calibrating delay loop... ok
No LinuxBIOS table found.
Found chipset "VT8235": Enabling flash write... OK.
Found board "VIA EPIA M/MII/...": Enabling flash write... OK.
SST39SF020A found at physical address: 0xfffc0000
Flash part is SST39SF020A (256 KB)
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Verifying flash - VERIFIED

Ah, so nothing happened!  Any idea why this didn't work?

Thanks,

--
Matthew