[LinuxBIOS] yo, pre-bricking an A8N-E !

Philipp Degler philipp.degler at gmx.de
Fri Aug 24 00:48:29 CEST 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007 00:00:49 Quux wrote:
> wow, it only took me only 3 hrs to pre-brick the Asus A8N-E I got at
> ebay for €22.
>
> I would have been faster, but the ROM / IMAGE SIZE of the current
> revision ist stated as 7F00 instead of  20000hex as in the M57SLI
> target. Once I fixed that I could flash the current revision - and the
> POST card gives me a steady 80.
hm, that is interesting. Actually this is what flashrom returns on my A8N-E:
	# ./flashrom -V
	Calibrating delay loop... 340M loops per second. ok
	No LinuxBIOS table found.
	Found chipset "NVIDIA CK804": Enabling flash write... OK.
	Probing for Am29F040B, 512 KB
	probe_29f040b: id1 0x21, id2 0xa7
	Probing for SST49LF004A/B, 512 KB
	probe_jedec: id1 0xbf, id2 0x60
	SST49LF004A/B found at physical address: 0xfff80000
	Flash part is SST49LF004A/B (512 KB)
	OK, only ENABLING flash write, but NOT FLASHING.

> I keep you guys informed but the ASUS A8N target is not even flashable
> currently (Also the wiki - downloadable ROM image is bad size (20000hex
> required)).

can you identify the flash chip of your A8N-E ??

> I plan to put together a CDROM .ISO file (a remastered dream linux) with
> the LB tree and ready-to-flash working filo-ROM-image. should be a
> quickie.     --Q

beeing in the middle of my diploma thesis I havn't checked the current svn for
a while. Next week I plan to be back at the university where I could get a
hand on a bios savior in order to check the state of the current svn
revision.

The last revision, that did work for me was 2724