[LinuxBIOS] One very important device to support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sat Aug 18 12:15:57 CEST 2007

* Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> [070818 11:42]:
> > But, what about an "overclocking/underclocking branch" for
> > LinuxBIOS?
>
> My idea is that these tweaks are contained in a separate piece of
> software. Maybe lbmenu. There's a certain point in letting LB stay LB
> and just do a very safe, always known-working setup. Then add fancy
> schmancy on top of that.

The main code needs to support the fact that it's values are overwritten
at some point.

For example, HT speed only gets active when you do a reset (or LDTSTOP).
Imagine lbmenu overclocks the HT bus and does a reset. LinuxBIOS will
see the reset and see that it would run he HT bus with different values.
It'll change the values and.... do a reset.

> This is also important because we may like to have fallback use
> different performance profiles. Easily done with tweaks in a payload.

This means lbmenu would get another task: Setting the HW up according to
its settings. This requires a lot of HW knowledge per board within
lbmenu.

I like the idea of capsulating this functionality. I am not sure whether
lbmenu is the right place for the magic. (definitely for the
visualization!)

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613