[LinuxBIOS] Winflashrom -- Current Status

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Aug 14 14:56:06 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 03:07:49PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> Moreover, direct port I/O was working flawlessly with the older
> flashrom that I port to windows back then. I think the "DPC" trick
> will guarantee the atomic operation and will give us the level of
> confidence to do the direct port I/O.

I am not at all confident about that.

Roman did make a good point about IRQL but that does not eliminate
the problem, we will still be changing hardware state underneath the
OS and that is ALWAYS a bad idea.

Please look into:

http://www.hollistech.com/Resources/Misc%20articles/getbusdata.htm
http://www.freelists.org/archives/wdmaudiodev/03-2004/msg00010.html

for Windows 2000 and newer.

I do think we should try to support NT 4 as well, and there the
Hal API is good, so please don't throw the code away yet.

//Peter