[LinuxBIOS] LBv3 under Bochs

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 9 18:57:58 CEST 2007

Hi,

since Qemu can't boot Windows Vista reliably and Bochs can, I wondered
whether Bochs can run LinuxBIOS v3. Patrick Georgi tried it and even got
to the GRUB2 welcome screen, where it crashed with a triple fault.

This is what Patrick wrote in IRC:
> http://openbios.org/~oxygene/lbv3.bochs is the config I used (to be
> started from lbv3's root directory)
> it's configured to send serial0 to /dev/stdout
> I get "Welcome to GRUB!" now, but then it crashes on a triple fault :)
> http://pastebin.com/m749c3e36 bochs output

Will we try to get LBv3 running in Bochs?
Benefits would be:
* One more soft hardware platform to test code with (although the
emulated hardware is very similar to that of Qemu)
* Bochs seems to support Vista and we may have success running Vista
with LBv3 in Bochs

Regards,
Carl-Daniel