[LinuxBIOS] PC protection

frederic at placenet.org frederic at placenet.org
Mon Aug 6 13:48:40 CEST 2007

> frederic at placenet.org wrote:
>> is it possible to put in linuxbios an option that protect your pc to be
>> stolen. for example:
>>
>> ping one time an wan ip adress when ethernet interface if up ?
>>
>> is this idea is possible ?
>
> It's possible to write code to do most things, but what would stop the
> thief loading a normal proprietary BIOS?  What exactly would you want to
> do.

when pc start and bios is launch, i would that bios if special option is
active to get an ip with gateway (if some dhcp runing) and try an ping to
an given ip or wget and special ip address.

if something stay resident when pc OS is running to try only one time a
smooth ping or wget.

like this if the computer is stolen by someone and this computer will be
use somewhere with internet (today is high probality), we can trace the
computer and retreive it...

if this possible to include that kind of script (up network interface,
dhcp,ping and boot) when linuxbios is used and installed on a motherboard
(in my case is Intel D946GZIS). I am interesting to do that.

bst regards.
Frederic