[LinuxBIOS] Kernel does nothing

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 10:40:05 CEST 2007

Eyal Cohen wrote:
> FILO version 0.4.2 (eyal at mainmachine) Sun Jul  1 06:26:04 IDT 2007
> Press <Enter> for default boot, or <Esc> for boot prompt... timed out
> boot: hda1:/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
> hda: LBA 40GB: ST340810A
> Mounted ext2fs
> Found Linux version 2.6.21.5 (eyal at mainmachine) #5 PREEMPT Thu Jul 5 11:50:44 ID
> T 2007 bzImage.
> Jumping to entry point...

It looks like your kernel may not be compiled with serial console
support. The best check I know of is to boot the system up with the
stock bios, then interrupt grub, edit the kernel options to include
"console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200", and then see what happens on your
serial terminal. If that can't be easily done, check your kernel config
file, and make sure serial support is compiled in (no modules, unless
you want to load an initrd), along with serial console, etc, etc.

Also, make sure you allow the kernel some time to load, it does take a
bit. If you're interested in speeding it up, look for Peter Stuge's FILO
IDE Speedup patch in the archives, which is for filo-0.5 (which can be
grabbed with svn co svn://openbios.org/filo/trunk/filo-0.5)

hope this helps
-Corey