[LinuxBIOS] Will it work?

Daniel Yellow_onion at orcon.net.nz
Wed Aug 1 00:11:01 CEST 2007

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 30/07/07 23:44 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:27:57AM +1200, Daniel Hill wrote:
>>
>>> Im just wondering if this is compatible with my computer
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (Venice)
>>> MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (PCB 1.0) (MS-7125)
>>>
>> The mainboard is not supported per se..
>>

>>> 00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller
>>> (rev a3)
>>>
>> ..but K8 and CK804 are both supported, so it could probably be made
>> to work if you're interested in getting into the code

I have Basic Programming knowledge ( with C# also know a bit of bash and
php)
I think i will be able to pick up on C pretty easily

>>> PLCC BIOS
>>>
>> Is it socketed?

Not sure what you mean by socketed but it looks exactly the same as
Pictured in your FAQ
>>> Winbond W38627THF
>>>
>> W83627HF is supported so THF will probably work too, or only need
>> minor changes in the code.
>>

>>> Also wondering if it will work using window x64?
>>>
>> I guess so, XP was booted by LB recently.

Don't Use x64 much anymore hate the whole "restart for settings to take
affect"
I assume it will work as it basicly is the same as winxp but has 64bit
binaries and doesn't use any BIOS calls and it does boot from grub
>>> and I assume freeDOS wouldn't work either?
>>>
>> I don't see why it wouldn't work? The K8 can run 32-bit code?

I would have thought that FreeDOS used alot of BIOS calls as it seams to
work "as is" with out any drivers (based off the fact that it runs off a
floppy) and by the way FreeDOS is 16bit and it runs on my computer just
doesn't pick up extended partitions
also since win9x is based off MS-DOS I would have thought that's why it
uses BIOS calls