[LinuxBIOS] ECS top hat flash - dual-bios-circuit useable elsewhere ?

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Sun Apr 29 23:30:34 CEST 2007

On 4/29/07, Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 01:38:44PM -0500, David H. Barr wrote:
> > > I'd love to find out more about exactly how this is done.
> >
> > Probably a lot like the TiVo PROM back-to-back socket.  Basically
> > two plcc32 sockets soldered back to back with a few pin tweaks.
>
> Yes, with "a lot like" and "a few tweaks" being the gaps I'd like to
> fill. :p

I'm requesting permission from a "jmayes" to reproduce his/her
documentation under an open license of some kind, preferably in the
LinuxBIOS wiki so someone with more skill than me can properly update
it (eg. add schematics as mentioned later).

> > I've occasionally wondered how hard it would be to have something
> > like this manufactured, thereby bypassing the whole TopHat /
> > BIOSSavior vendor specific issue.
>
> The BIOS savior is very generic.

It may be very generic, but it's also apparently covered by patents
no. 130648 and 177592 (I find no reference as to which country in
which said patents are issued).  I imagine similar problems may exist
with TopHat.

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 09:44:43PM +0200, Quux wrote:
> > the tivo socket has no circuitry at all.
>
> Really? Is there a schematic somewhere?

No schematic, but see above comment re: request tendered to one
"jmayes".

-dhbarr.